31 August 2006

Studious Start

My classes:

Intensive Spanish 3
Spanish Pronounciation (will probably get canceled since only three people came)
Spanish-English Translation
Written Expression 2
Oral Expression 1


Today was the first day of classes and I was expecting a, ¨Hola, me llamo Señor Gonzalez¨and then they hand out the syllabus and that´s it. That´s far from what happened. In each of the classes I had today we received the syllabus, followed by introductions from everyone and immediately we began working on homework. And all the classes went their full lenghts. Typically, in most of the classes I´ve had, we don´t get homework until the third or fourth session. But I was pretty impressed with the teachers. All of them spoke clearly, loudly, and confidently and made sure everyone understood what was being said. I´m kinda glad classes have started though, because I´m going to rapidly improve my Spanish. It has improved quite a bit in the past week I´ve been in Mexico, but I need some structured learning.

Another good thing about Mexican classes, or at least mine, are the lack of books I need to buy. Only one so far. Plus, in almost all my classes, the professors told us to write down what we want to talk about this semester. I can´t think of any classes I´ve had where that´s happened.

It´s annoying though that the school is so loud. It´s a good-sized building with a plaza in the middle (there´s no roof) but there´s always either traffic or other students talking. Plus, the echoes are pretty bad since the ceilings are so high.

This weekend we have to move :( away from the house with a terrace that overlooks the lakes to a house (though bigger and newer) about 20 minutes from here by foot.

Nos vemos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey bud, good to know that ur having fun. keep it up. and get ur spanish up. i wanna have fun when i get there during spring break.