06 August 2006

Bronson + Xalapa = Bralapa

A long time in ago, in a galaxy far, far away....


Or, actually, eight months ago and 80 miles from here, I decided that I'd study in Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico. But the study abroad decision came to life long before that...I don't exactly know the moment when the mental mathematic formula computed itself { (a [study] + b [abroad] + c [me] + d [$!] + e [the derivative of a steaming pile of breakfast sausage] = far away from home) }, but it's been sort of percolating for a long time....I knew I wanted to study abroad, at least since last last (05) spring, and that I would study in a Latin American country (since summer 2005) and that I would study in South America (a few months during fall 2005). I really knew for sure, however, that I would study in Xalapa, Mexico during fall finals week. I was planning to go through La Crosse University's exchange program but the more I researched, the more i realized it would be so, so much cheaper to do it solo.

Benefits:
*
It's cheaper (by...hmm...at least $4,000)
* I should also mention that I could've gone through MSU's exchange program to Guadalajara or Guanajuato at a meager cost of ~$5,500 (MSU's tuition) plus an additional ~ $4,000 (for living expenses and more tuition). See, MSU's exchange programs charge you MSU tution plus tuition at the Mexican school you attend...so you're paying that $5,500 for nothing. Supposedly, it makes up for the money they lost if you hadn't gone to their school. I'm not bashing MSU; it's a pretty good school, but charging students who want to study abroad an extra 5 grand of tuition isn't a bargain.
* I won't be going with any MSU students (that I know of).
* No MSU professors will be teaching me there (unlike MSU's study abroad program, where MSU professors teach you abroad. Again, I'm not bashing MSU, nor it's professors; nearly every one I've had has been excellent. But the best thing about studying abroad is (like I know, I haven't even left yet) that you're independent of every norm you've known and grown accustomed to and thrusted into an unpredictable situation that takes you by surprise. Classmates and familiar professors excluded.


I've done almost all the planning, research and paperwork myself. Of course, it's a lot more work, but a lot less costly. I chose which school to attend. I convinced the department chair to approve my classes and to grant me permission to choose my own program. I got the passport and visa myself. I worked 60-hour weeks and 17-hour days this summer. I saved and scrounged. I found my own room and board rather than having the school do it. But all this work and preparation -- no matter how stressful or how impatient it got -- was half the fun. Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction, maybe I'm doing all the wrong things...

But what could go wrong?

No comments: