21 October 2008

Tuna leaves

Clarification: I periodically change the subhead under my blog header. "Mavericks only" is poking fun at John McCain and Sarah Palin´s excessive use of the word, not my preference in readers from my alma mater, the MSU Mavericks. (The republicans have diluted the word so much that MSU should sue.) Sorry for the confusion.

One of my favorite quotes from election season was from Joe Biden describing McCain´s lack of maverickyness:

"Look, let's talk about the maverick John McCain is. And again I love him, he's been a maverick on some issues but he's been no maverick on things that matter (to) people's lives....So a maverick he is not, on the important critical issues that affect people at the kitchen table."

As a side note, check out Tina Fey´s spot-on mockery of Sarah Palin and you´ll be tempted to add "mavericky" to your lexicon.

***

It´s cliched, but one thing I miss about being in Minnesota is the fall colors. October is a very beautiful month -- the air is crisp and refreshing, leaves are changing and it smells like pumpkins and candy corn every where you go. Mexico has varied seasons but none that produce a climax leading to more extreme conditions, and the most you get from trees are smelly brown leaves that fall off some trees. For a dramatic and hilarious take on leaves and trees, check out this Monty Python spot, from the Meaning of Life, one of my favorites.

***

Yesterday I tried a new fruit: tuna (in English - prickly pear or cactus apple). It tasted nothing fishy, but more like a sweet and juicy cucumber with a slight hint of watermelon. No resemblence to a pear or an apple.


No comments: