13 August 2008

Taxisismo

One of my least favorite groups of people in Mexico City is taxistas, or taxi drivers. Most, but not all, tend to be nacos, Mexican for someone with a limited level of education and culture; bad taste and bad manners; which would be equivalent to redneck or white trash in the U.S. Taxistas generally have a bad reputation for their reckless driving, muggings, assaulting, robbery and sexual harassment. They tend to reek and listen to bad music. Whenever I am about to enter a taxi, I always ask myself: "Am I going to die in this car?" If the answer is no, then I´ll get in. If my chances are high, then I´ll back away slowly and then run off.

In general, there are two types of taxis in Mexico City: legitimate and pirated. You can almost always tell the difference by their license plates. Legit taxis carry government-issued taxi plates, differentiated by a red or green bar at the bottom of the plate. Pirated taxis, on the other hand, use normal plates like other cars, but usually the loud exhaust, squealing tires and numerous dents give them away.

One downside to legitimate taxis, however, is that they are often as bad as pirated taxis. For example, I took a legit taxi the other day in the downtown, and the tires were noticeably loose. The taxi driver seemingly had little control over his car, and whenever we´d make a turn he´d fight with the steering wheel to make sure we didn´t veer off into oncoming traffic. I noticed, too, that he had a long, thin, discrete mirror attached to the sun visor, directly in view of the passenger´s crotch. Watch out, ladies.

All of this negative talk makes taxistas sound like the most horrible people around. Although they are close, taxi drivers have a few redeeming factors: they tend to have impressive knowledge of the city, they have the ability to weave and curve around traffic, they´re better than using mass transit on crowded days, and they´re cheap. Flag drop costs about sixty cents, and most taxi rides cost between $2 and $6. I´ve had good conversations with some taxistas, but most of the time they´re silent -- the majority barely talks to you.

One uncommon sight is to see a female taxista. I´ve only seen a few, and last wek was my first experience with one. It was a massively obese grandma driving a scummy little Beetle (many people still drive the old Beetles in Mexico, and lime-green Beetle taxis in Mexicoare ubiquitous) with no power steering. Interesting sight...



Beetle taxis (or Vochos) are as ubiquitous as ambulantes, a topic for another day :)


1 comment:

B. Paige Hansen said...

I like that photo a lot, did you take it yourself?