23 June 2006

Two months, and....I'm there.

Here's a brief run-down of what I've done/left to do:

Do:

*Get visa....this means waiting for a certificate of good health and a "letter of financial solvency." And a trip to the cities and a five-day waiting period.

*Buy luggage. I'm debating if I should buy the cheapie kind in case it gets lost or stolen (I might decide to ride Greyhound someday) or invest in a Samsonite or equally good quality brand. I'll likely make a compromise: buy used baggage that's of good quality.

* Get a new bank account or ensure mine will work in Mx.

* Cancel my cell phone, AOL, pay my library fines, etc.

* Get addresses, phone numbers of family/friends and store in an address book so I can send gifts/request monetary donations (if need be) :]

*Keep working...my goal: enough money to not have to work while I'm down there. I don't think I can, legally, anyway.

* CLEAN MY ROOM!!!! Dammit, I don't want to come back after a year to a pig sty! It still is a month after spring semester ended.


Done:

* Received my acceptance letter

* Bough plane ticket ($419 for round-trip...the cheapest I could find)

* Doctor check-up, eye exam

* Most of the documents for my visa



Countdown: two months, exactly....Well, technically not anymore, but had I posted two hours earlier, it would've been. I'll put it this way: in two months, I'll be in a foreign place, off American soil for the first time in my life (five minutes in Canada doesn't count), trying to string together bits and phrases of a foreign language and figuring out what I got myself into...a good thing, I hope. Fingers crossed.

No comments: