08 May 2009

Taking off the mascara sagrada



Honey, just stay back...they're infected. (I took this photo at a plaza on Insurgentes Avenue yesterday, where some fear mongers had masked even these poor statues).



Life has gotten back to normal in Chilangoland, as schools, offices, museums, cinemas and just about everything else reopened starting on Wednesday. The air is still a little nervous -- many still wear their masks, but not nearly to the extent as last week. I'm going to share with you the best post-epidemic-awkward greeting moments I've seen these past few days (names excluded):


1. A lady comes over, and as she is leaving shakes my friend's hand, quickly regrets it and mentions the government-issued warning not to greet people physically (some people have found other ways to saludarse, like bumping elbows). She gives me a struggled, "I'm so sorry" look, and she and I only say goodbye.

2. A friend meets another friend for the first time, and unsure how to greet each other, they kind of do a half fist bump, then say "umm..." (but thinking -- "SWINE FLU!!!"), are about to do a hand-shake-half-hug but quickly recede and then finally just decide to shake hands (dead-fish style, as I've seen and done many times recently).

3. I was in the subway, without a mask, during rush hour, and didn't put my hand over my mouth when I sneezed, ejecting a million little droplets of terror across the crowded wagon, as babies and old ladies carrying their shopping bags cried and screamed, and the men gave me dirty looks, some ready to ring my neck ... just kidding... if this would've happened, I wouldn't be here anymore.

No comments: