11 March 2009

Bizarre Mexican brands, I

I'm starting up a new series on bizarre Mexican brand names. Now having lived in Mexico more than a year and a half, I've seen many oddly named products. Some of the brand names I'm going to write about are just nonsensical words; some share the name with a different brand; and some are words in other languages that mean something completely different -- often sexual, goofy or ironic.

Take, for example, Kranky, a brand of chocolate-covered corn flakes made by Ricolino. Delicious, sweet, cheap, sold everywhere and addictive, the smile on the cartoon's face below and the brand name seem to disagree.



The only thing that made me Kranky about this candy is that they don't sell it by the kilo, 'cos I finished this baggie off in about twenty seconds.

No comments: