18 November 2008

Big guns

I want to comment on the fuzz, or as my friend Eric endearingly calls them, the Popo.

Last night I went to the Sumesa (supermarket) to get some milk. It was about 8:30 and the store was empty, except for the cashiers and about five police...with guns...big guns...like, shotguns and Uzis.

One was at the entrance, two were in the corner, and two were outside. Apparently, they were watching the unloading of food from a semi truck. But armed cops are a common sight here…I started to get used to them, becoming a normality, until yesterday, thinking…what if one of those things goes off while I pay for my Alpura ?!

Everywhere I go, especially near banks and large stores, police stand guard outside, solemn and unmoving. You might think it was a war zone or something, or from heavy crime, but it’s not just in Mxc you see cops with big guns, but everywhere. When I was living in Xalapa two years ago I saw them frequently as well, and this was before Felipe Calderon took office and began to heavily militarize the country.

Their salary is as small as their guns are big, and I’m afraid police aren’t afraid to use them...so that’s why I have no photos for this post.

No comments: